Solar plexus (Manipura) chakra is the 3rd energy point of the spiritual body, associated with self-belief, self-confidence, personal growth, transformation, and self-development.
The solar plexus forms the foundation for spiritual growth by taking care of aspects of material existence. It’s not possible to grow spiritually without healing (opening and balancing) the solar plexus chakra.
Solar plexus chakra is located approximately two inches above the belly button, and ‘it is associated with our identity or the ego.’ It is the center of our self-esteem and willpower. It is represented by yellow color and has fire as its element.
If you suffer from high anxiety, healing the solar plexus chakra is what you should work on.
A balanced chakra means that the life-force energy (prana) flowing through it is optimal. A low energy flow indicates an underactive chakra, whereas a high energy flow indicates an overactive chakra. Both of these scenarios are bad. A fully balanced chakra is associated with good physical and mental health and overall wellbeing.
The energy flow begins at the Root (Muladhara) Chakra, passes through the Sacral (Svadhishthana) Chakra, and subsequently reaches the Solar Plexus before moving further towards higher chakras. It’s important to work on our chakras in the same order, respectively.
Unlocking The Foundation Energy (AudioBook)
For example, if you feel that either your root chakra or sacral is blocked, you should first work on these before attempting to heal the solar plexus chakra.
A balanced solar plexus chakra enables us to:
- Build self-discipline. It helps accomplish simple things like sleeping and eating on time, completing daily tasks, working out daily, and more.
- Build high self-esteem.
- Build the confidence to be your own authentic self and discover who you truly are. You don’t feel the need to control or dominate others anymore.
- It gives you the confidence to take your own decisions and stick to them, even in unfavorable circumstances.
- It gives you the power to manifest your thoughts into reality by taking action.
- Have control over your actions, thoughts, and emotions.
- Set healthy boundaries with people (includes family relations). You gain the strength and courage to set boundaries and don’t allow yourself to be a pushover.
- And helps you in achieving your goals in life.
Signs of Blockage in the Solar Plexus Chakra
In my case, one of the clear indications was an issue related to self-confidence. Somehow, I had acquired this self-limiting belief that an individual can’t be successful working all by themselves, especially when they are self-employed.
I was continually looking for external support—someone to guide me by hand-holding at every step. I had low confidence in my abilities and was scared to go all alone by myself. Therefore, I needed constant reassurances that I was progressing on the right path.
Even when I was working in a corporate job (a couple of years back), I used to seek support from colleagues and superiors to complete tasks assigned to me without making any personal effort.
I was seriously doubtful of my ability to make things happen by myself. I was scared that I would mess up if I went by my instincts.
Now when I look back, I realize that the reason for my low self-esteem and lack of confidence was that my energy points were blocked. Once I started working on myself, things started changing.
People with blocked solar plexus chakra have a very pessimistic view of life; they are highly critical of people in authoritative and leadership positions.
They feel unworthy, have high sensitivity, keep low expectations, and keep accepting other people’s abuse to reinforce their pre-existing belief that they are the victims. It is an indication of low self-esteem. They’re stuck in a rut they can’t get out of.
But how do we know if our solar plexus chakra is blocked? Here are some of the symptoms of an underactive (low energy flow) solar plexus chakra:
- Lack of confidence – As I mentioned above, lack of confidence in your abilities to achieve your goals may be a sign of underactive solar plexus chakra. You also feel scared to express yourself freely.
- Inability to make decisions – With an underactive solar plexus chakra, you are always scared of making decisions for yourself. You are always indecisive, and that’s one reason you cannot achieve your goals.
- You look forward to help from others (codependency) – Your lack of self-confidence and self-esteem makes you feel helpless, and you seek help and validation from other people. As a child, we are all dependent on your parents and rely on them for making decisions for us. But as we grow up, our spiritual chakra develops, enabling us to make our own decisions. People with underactive solar plexus chakra are dependent on other people even as adults and expect a lot of hand-holding. The worst part is that even will all the hand-holding, they never meet their goals in life.
- You feel like a victim – You feel like the whole world is plotting against you, and you are at the receiving end. You cannot let go of the victim mentality. People with underactive solar plexus chakra constantly blame others for their own failures in life. They never take responsibility for their own faults.
Symptoms of an overactive solar plexus chakra are as follows:
- You keep a stubborn attitude – Overactive solar plexus chakra creates stubbornness. You want to have a say in every matter but are not willing to make any compromises. You expect perfection from yourself and the people around you. Eventually, this need for perfection causes burnout, creates interpersonal conflicts, and you end up procrastinating or completely abandoning the work.
- You feel the need to control others – With an overactive chakra, you feel the need to be the center of attraction. You want other people to adjust to your schedule and do things the way you want. Desire to be in control makes you manipulative, and you end up struggling in your relationship with other people.
- You often get angry and aggressive – You get annoyed over minor issues. Everything is black and white for you. You keep my way or the highway attitude. You get aggressive and criticize people for minor mistakes and show passive-aggression (for example, passing taunts in the form of humor). You often experience rageful anger that is beyond your control. Bullies usually have an overactive solar plexus chakra.
- You easily pass judgments on other people – You judge people for each and everything they say or do. For example, you pass judgments on how they look, what they eat, the clothes they wear, or pass nasty comments on their personal habits. Belittling people makes you feel better about yourself.
- You have poor eating habits – This is somewhat related to the problem of indiscipline. Overactive solar plexus chakras cause you to crave junk, unhealthy, sugary, and processed food, which in turn creates physical health issues like stomach bloating, indigestion, and a couple of other issues.
Some of the physical health problems related to blocked solar plexus chakra are:
- Issues with the digestive tract
- Frequent gas and constipation
- Issues with the lower part of the body such as gall bladder and liver
- Overweight and obesity
How to Heal (Balance) the Solar Plexus Chakra?
Now that we know the causes of blocked solar plexus chakra. Let’s discuss how we can heal it.
Our bodies have been designed to sweat. That’s one of the ways we keep our bodily processes working. By working out, we release a hormone called endorphins, which gives the feeling of pleasure.
Exercises like jogging, running, squatting, push-ups, and weight training engage our core muscles to keep the solar plexus from accumulating excessive energy that causes laziness or other serious health problems.
It doesn’t have to be a strenuous workout. Brisk walking or doing slow steady-state-cardio is good enough. Don’t stress yourself too much, but at the same time, get out of your comfort zone and push yourself a little.
Practice yoga and breathing exercises
Practicing yoga and breathing exercises such as ‘breath of fire’ (also known as kapalbhati pranayam) is extremely helpful. Some of the yoga poses that help in harnessing the energy of the solar plexus is as follows:
- The child’s pose (Balasana)
- The corpse pose (Shavasana)
- The plank pose (Phalakasana)
- The bow pose (Dhanurasana)
- Warrior III pose (Virabhadrasana III)
Practicing yoga is extremely effective in opening and healing the chakras and ensures overall wellness. Yoga International is offering online courses with a 30-day-free-trail. It has over 500 expert teachers in yoga therapy, anatomy, meditation, and more. Learn at your own pace and from the comfort of your home.
Affiliate Disclosure: If you click the link above and decide to purchase the course, I get paid a small fee that helps me to create valuable content for you, and it doesn’t cost you any extra amount.
Practice Self-Love (Taking care of yourself)
When it comes to balancing any of your chakras, the very first thing I recommend is making positive changes to your lifestyle and forming good mindful habits.
Exercising your willpower a little every day is one of the best ways to balance your solar plexus chakra.
Some of the self-love tips are as follows:
- Relax by going for massages and spa treatment once a while.
- Take care of your general hygiene.
- Eating fresh, healthy organic food. Eat yellow-colored foods like banana, mango, and corn. Check out my detailed guide on Sattvic Foods.
- Drinking calm-inducing herbal teas. One of my personal favorites is Ashwagandha Tea. It’s very relaxing, and it keeps me activated throughout the day.
- Practice Mindfulness (Checked my guide on how to be more mindful).
- Go for walks.
- Socialize with positive, like-minded people.
- Remember to smile now and then (don’t underestimate this tip).
You don’t have to go in for everything at once (that will cause burnout). Just practice these steps one by one till they get ingrained in your subconscious mind. After that, you won’t have to use willpower to practice self-love; it will happen naturally.
Practice Meditation Everyday
If you feel confused and don’t know where to get started with solar plexus chakra healing – start practicing meditation. Meditation helps in the flow of energy and heals the affected chakras.
Simple meditation practice is to sit in a cross-legged position on a mat (or on a chair if you feel uncomfortable), keep your spine straight, and close your eyes. Now imagine a yellow-colored glowing ball three inches below the rib cage and radiating energy outwards in the whole body.
Do deep breathing as you do the visualization and feel the flow of energy in that particular area. Doing this for about 10 to 15 minutes every day is good enough to get started. You can increase the time as and when you start progressing.
For complete information on Meditation, benefits, breathing exercises, how-to’s, and more, check out – The Ultimate Meditation Guide eBook.
Chakra Alignment/Healing Worksheets
If you’re serious about working on your energy body, I have a fantastic resource that can greatly help in your endeavor of clearing your energy blockages. It includes information sheets, alignment worksheets, and chakra affirmations printable.
You can check out the 7 Chakra Healing Worksheet Bundle (With Free Chakra Information Sheets)
Take Help of Healing Crystals
If you feel that your energy is stuck and that you are not making any progress, you can benefit from healing crystals.
You can either hold the crystal in your hand while meditating, carry one in your purse, or wear it as a necklace or a bracelet. Just make sure that the crystals are somewhere around you.
You can even place a collection of these crystals in your living room (or garden) to get rid of the negative energies. Here I’m listing some of the most well-known crystals that help in healing the solar plexus chakra.
Tiger’s Eye is also known as the stone of protection and is said to bring good luck to the wearer. This stone also stimulates other chakras in addition to the solar plexus. Some of the benefits are:
- Helps clearing out stress and anxiety.
- Helps in releasing the past traumas and fears trapped within the chakras.
- Helps in strengthening intuition and developing psychic powers.
- Triggers kundalini activation.
- Promotes mental clarity, and
- Helps in cleaning the aura.
Citrine is a beautiful stone that has healing properties of the sun and is said to be extremely beneficial in balancing the solar plexus chakra.
This stone helps in developing mental clarity, boosts confidence, and absorbs all the negative energies from within you.
This yellow-colored crystal not only emanates beauty and grace but is also extremely helpful in balancing the solar plexus chakra. Some of the benefits of this crystal are:
- Get rids of self-doubting behavior.
- Helps in harmonizing your emotions.
- Develops mental clarity and increases memory.
- Cleans out unwanted negative energies from the remotest corners of the home, including yourself.
Using Essential Oils
Some of the solar plexus chakra balancing essential oils are:
- Pink Pepper Seed
- White Lotus
Essential oils are very helpful in balancing the chakras. I personally use them on daily basis and have found them to be extremely beneficial. If you want more information, check out my article on the Best Essential Oils that help in Balancing Your Chakras.
Try the Solar Plexus Healing Tea
You might want to check out this 100% pure organic, free of additives and zero caffeine Solar Plexus Chakra Tea (affiliate link) by Buddha Teas (high-quality seller). I occasionally like to consume this tea and find it to be very refreshing.
You can also check my article Easy Recipes for Balancing the Solar Plexus Chakra.
Practicing affirmations is an excellent way of harnessing the positive energy flow. Some of the affirmations to balance the solar plexus chakra are as follows:
- I’m strong and courageous.
- I’m capable of achieving my desires in life.
- I’m a confident person.
- I don’t shy from expressing myself fully.
- I’m authentic with people.
Avoid Negative People
While you are healing yourself, you must associate with people who encourage and uplift you in your endeavors. Avoid mixing up with people who like to spend time gossiping and criticizing others.
When your solar plexus chakra starts balancing, you realize that you have the power of choice and to take action based on that choice.
You will clearly see the people who transmit negative energies to your aura, and you will have the strength to avoid them completely and not get affected by their negativity. For more information, read The Empath Survival Guide.
We are always in so much hurry in our daily lives that we don’t stop for even a minute to acknowledge the love flowing all around us. Nature has given us so much love in the form of food, water, sunlight, air, and all the other essential elements to support life on this planet.
Practicing gratitude speeds up the healing process and increases the energy flow through our spiritual body. Feelings of love and compassion towards all beings and things clear out all of the negativity within us. We start seeing this world in a new light.
It’s important to understand that blockage in the solar plexus chakra will not allow the life-force energy to move up to chakras related to higher spiritual progress.
The spiritual journey of humans involves transcending the barriers of the physical material world and realizing the “higher self.” Healing your spiritual chakras is the beginning of this ‘awakening.’